Early Childhood Development
- National Diploma level: 5
- Credits Earned: Min 240
- Duration: 2 Years
- Entry Requirements
the ability to read, write and use written resource material for learning and teaching in at least two South African languages;
the ability to understand fundamental mathematical/numeracy concepts;
the applied competence outlined in the core unit standards at Level 4:
Facilitate Healthy Development in ECD Programmes, and
Facilitate Active Learning in ECD Programmes,
Manage the ECD Learning Programme.
The purpose of the qualification is to:
1. Provide access to a recognised educator qualification at Level 6 for ECD educators who have a Level 4 or Level 5 certificate in ECD, providing a bridge between non-formal and formal learning programmes.
2. To enable educators/ learners to plan and implement a learning programme which is based on their knowledge of child development from birth to nine years and which helps children in a specific phase work towards achieving the learning outcomes of the national school curriculum (where appropriate).
3. To improve community-based ECD services for young children by raising the level of ECD teaching competence and/or by providing opportunities for training in support and leadership roles.
This qualification provides a substantial qualification for:
- Potential learners/educators who have acquired an FETC (Grade 12) or equivalent qualification at Level 4 (120 credits) and who wish to make ECD their full-time career (entry point);
- Learners/educators who have a Level 4 qualification in ECD to further their career and professional development in ECD by providing access to a Level 6 qualification;
- Learners/educators who have a Higher Certificate in ECD to further their career and professional development in ECD by providing access to a Level 6 qualification.
Are Exams written:
- A Portfolio of evidence will be required to be completed
- Once you are competent in all the portfolios you would be required to write final integrated summative assessment as per the ETDP SETA requirements.
Recognition of Prior Learning:
The qualification can be achieved as a whole or in part through the recognition of prior learning. Learners who have completed the Certificate at Level 5 should be able to participate in a learning programme(s) that provides the 120 credits not included in the Certificate, i.e. the Fundamental learning components and additional Electives. The Diploma is also intended to provide direct access to the Degree at Level 6.
ENJO 64650 ECD L5 NDip Brochure v 1